The land north, east and west of Toronto had been occupied by the Anishinabek, the Haudenosauneega, and the Huron-Wendat, for some 12 to 15,000 years. It was purchased by treaty in 1805. The woods were cleared by the settlers for farming. As the city grew, the farms were cleared for housing tracts. This continues at an unprecedented pace and all that remains are glimpses, small outcrops, of what once was.